Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Nothing Going On

Well life this week seems to be relatively mundane. Nothing too much going on in my neck of the woods and I kinda like it that way.
I've taken up a kalookie on a weekend just for relaxation. I learnt this game many years ago but had stopped playing. I guess my escapades will continue until I get tired of it or until the schoolwork gets in the way again. I have managed to place a consistent third on the last two ocassions that I have played. This week I hope to move into a better spot. Eight of us have been playing regularly and the fun and games have continued well into the wee morning hours. We are now looking at shifting to a different night and earlier times so that we aren't making our ways back to our respective homes when is only dog barking out on the road. Wifey, who is new to the game, won on our first play night and came in fourth last time.
On a diferent note, the Students' Loan Bureau has had consistent problems with loan recipients who refuse to repay the sums owed after completing their course of studies. The fund is a revolving one and therefore any non-repayment is actually taking the bread out of some other child's mouth. Arguments have been put forward about the rates of interest being too high and the service they received and.......... the list goes on. The fact of the matter is that you got the money and you knew the repayment rates so why complain now. Regardless of the service you received you got the money you paid your school fees and you are now making good returns on the investment you made...pay the money. Bottom line is that there really is no excuse.
They have now begun to publish the names and photographs or the delinquent borrowers in the daily newspaper. Now I am sure that other organizations are similar to mine and I know my management is watching those lists like hawks. I have no problem with the list being published, provided that all the groundwork is accurately done to ensure that people whose names are published are delinquent borrowers because that could lead to some serious embarrassment on the borrower's behalf and, I can state categorically, loss of jobs in some arenas.
I have also heard of people who have gone in and paid their entire balances upon requesting an outstanding balance status and several months later are told that they remain delinquent because the amount calculated was incorrect. My view is that the calculating officer should be held accountable (financially and otherwise) for that type of error. I wonder what the legal profession would say about this. One way of protecting yourself is to obtain a loan discharge document. I fail to see how you can tell me on one ocassion that I have completely repaid your money and then tell me some days later "oh sorry you still owe me because I haven't finished with you yet" and "I am going to put your name in the papers because you don't pay me". I think that amounts to extortion. What you think.
Anyways, enough chat from me. Later all.

2 comments:

Abeni said...

Well assuming that the checking is not faulty etc and persons still don't pay up then by all means publish.

Mad Bull said...

Publish the names, yes.
Oh, and if you borrow $100 from me and I made a mistake and thought you repaid me in full when you only repaid me $50, I hope you wouldn't have argument with me to repay it? Thats what it amounts to with the SLB. One can argue that they should have their act together, but if you owe, you owe, nuh true?