Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tech Stuff.....(Boring to Dr.D)

Well Dr. D will not like this but it will be short. I finally got my router last night and felt like a millionaire. I had to use my phone a friend life line but it seem that everything is up and running. The one I bought is one without an external antenna. It works well from the wired point of view but the signal got really weak really fast when the wireless side of things was used. The many corners and concrete walls between the bedroom and the living room where the router is located may have something to do with that. So I have two options 1) Hard wire the bedroom 2) move the router halfway down the passageway using patch cables 3) stay out of the bedroom when using the laptop. All in all I am pleased. Setup was fairly easy but I got a little confused with some of the settings. I called a friend and he talked me through it in few minutes. pretty straight forward. We are yet to complete the firewall settings since he was unfamiliar with how this particular router set the permissions and filters so it will have to wait until he returns from abroad. Thanks for the help Mr. C. I like option 2. Since I anticipated that there would be an issue with the walls and the signal I went looking for cabling the other day and all I kept finding was CAT-6 I am familiar with the CAT-5 and therefore need to know the difference between the two. Are they compatible and will the devices be able to work using the CAT-6 cables. The connectors look the same but hey...it's all the same to me. Anyways for the time being I can at least have access when the kids are online with the desktop. Other than that everything is fine on the home front. School has restarted and I've had one class thus far. That course seems interesting (until it starts to dig out yuh tripe with unreasonable deadlines and.....) and I'm going in open-minded. We'll see how it pans out later. Anyways, I gone do some work so till later.

11 comments:

slybabyk said...

"Dig out yu tripe" rofl such language! I know what you mean though. Congrats on the router! I wish I could help with the firewall settings but that's not my forte at all. J and I agree that a router at the house in Louisiana brought peace to the marriage (we're both avid net junkies), because we could both sit in the TV room and surf and talk at the same time, him on the desktop, me on the laptop.

Makes you wonder what we'd do if when we woke up tomorrow morning there was no internet? *shudder*

CoolDestiny said...

You go Mr. Scratchie-Tech!

Camille said...

Yea - you can use CAT-6... you just won't be using up all the capability of it... CAT-6 cables support the gigabit network, is all. :-)

Don't you just love having geeky friends read your blog? :-D

Rev Island said...

You a techie? Yes I am waiting on a tech to come and set up my new laser printer as "shared" or something like that. I don't have a clue about that.

Mad Bull said...

Big up, Sir Scratchie. Does this mean a higher volume of bloggage is imminent?

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

It's one of the things I miss about Jamaica...having tech. friends :-)

Happy New Year, and thanks for dropping by my blog.

p.s. be good to your car! You should see ours...it's 13 or so years old, and working as good as new.

Scratchie said...

Welcome first of all to guyana-gyal.
@slybabyk - I fully understand (can I divorce my kids?)
@fyr - thanks so much...I know how to proceed...and yes it is quite good to have tech friends reading..(free advice ;) )
@ri - not really but I like to tinker with the stuff. I know enough to know when to stop and get help.
@MB - don't know about that but let's just say the excuse can't be that I can't get online.

Unknown said...

Never heard of anyone using cat-6, always cat-5.

I think that when I have my own house I would want to install a wireless router. By that time I should have a laptop, so I could use it anywhere in the house.

De Immigrant said...

I sought of had the same problem trying to send my router signal from the basement to the master bedroom two floors up. Got a cheap $25 signal booster antenna and that solved the problem.

Stu said...

So are you going broadband now?

Scratchie said...

sorry Sunshine....
@de immigrant...thought about it but still concerned about the thickness of the walls and the number of corners. Not sure how the houses are constructed where you are but we tend to use block and steel right throught including flooring and interior walls so it is definitely a factor.
@Stu...well right now all that is available is DSL so I'm connect at 128 now and have an application in for the 256. Other than that is big money.