Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Post Emancipation Day

Well, yesterday was a holiday here in Jamdown. Emancipation Day. It was a nice break from work and might I add...most welcomed. Well Sunday marked 10 days since I have been completely familyless. I spoke with them last light and they are doing fine. Wifey is having some cooling out time and The Shorter is doing what she does best...shopping. I need to start checking my money carefully because I can't figure out how she shop so much and still manage to save money.
Well I had the last of my in course tests for the semester on Saturday. It wasn't too bad. I was gearing up for a lot worse but it was pretty much a balanced exam. The lecturer divided the questions evenly with about 50% going towards theory and 50% towards problem solving. I should pass. Exams are right around the corner though. My 1st draft of exams is 8th, 9th and 12th of August. All crammed into one week ...yuck. But at least I get them out of the way and over with.
Yesterday I decided to finally do my 1st real cooking since wifey left. I managed to work up some fried fish and bammy with vegetables. I learned a little trick with the bammy some time ago. If your bammy is always coming out kinda tough, a great way to get it soft is to actually deep fry it. Those people who don't like the fried foods or are on low cholesterol diets...stay far. If you do it just like festival it actually makes it really soft. what i do is to drain it on paper towels after to remove the oil. Another great alternative is steamed bammy.
Anyway guys...I gotta run..work start calling already.

6 comments:

Marc M said...

Glad you are hopping over those exam hurdles. Sounds like your surviving well on your own too.

Scratchie said...

bammy is a cassava bread. It looks like a really thick pancake and is quite firm prior to cooking. It's normally served with fish. It can be steamed or deep fried

Abeni said...

Finally somebody got acquainted with the stove:)

Jdid said...

so hummuch pounds ya lost since family left man, tell the truth :-)

Camille said...

Yay! Somebody reach the stove!!!

Here's a tip: soak the bammy in about 2 tablespoonfuls of milk before frying. It will sop up the milk making it less tough when fried and it also serves to minimize the amount of oil soaked up when fried. It also gives it a nice flavour! ;-)

Yamfoot said...

I think Scratchie, that this familyless state is good for your exam preparaiton and I expect nothing but all A grades!

you have no excuse.