Thursday, May 25, 2006

Bikers get Targetted

No the image above was not taken by me. I borrowed it off the net so credits to the photographer (who I have no idea who it is). No I do not own one of these things, nor do I hope to. I kinda have this thing called a brain and I add two thoughts to it...All the heroes here in Jamaica have one thing in common, they all died years ago. I do not wish to join them. The other is that " there is a very thin line between bravery and foolhardiness". See me in my prime of life tearing around the place and doing 0 - 60 in 3 seconds....rooooight!!!!!!!

Seems the police here have been doing some homework. Apparently in order for you to have one of these machines with cc ratings above 600 you need special permission which is rarely granted I understand. (Don't quote me on that one.) But there are quite a few of these with 1000 and 1200 cc engines parading around the island and are the mode of transport of choice for some of the nations undesireable. We tend to find ways to beat the systems here so of course importation rules are no exception. According to last night's news report the bikes are sent in barrels in pieces and then reassembled when they get to their destination. Papers are then "worked up" for them.

Well the police have started a clamp down on the activity since the bikes are more powerful and easier to deal with traffic than anything the police can throw at them and have featured in several crimes from hold ups to murders. Last nights newscast showed a seizure of some 60 bikes. Well I will not be a naysayer. I hope the initiative works. We have reached a point here where anything to have one less crime is a good thing.

Anywayz, I was just writing a thing....we'll chat some more later.

5 comments:

Rev Island said...

Traffic enforcement is one of the ingredients which will produce a greater benefit than traffic itself. So, I say, bravo to that initiative and hopefully that theme continues.

Jdid said...

interesting method of getting them into the island

Mad Bull said...

Jdid, is plenty tings they bring into the island in pieces... cars, guns, etc...

Abeni said...

Good on the authorities.I can imagine some like those on our roads.Heaven help us

dorna! said...

We've got a couple of those down here and trust me it's Heaven alone that's helping us.