Friday, May 19, 2006

Utilities

Well I have very little to say this morning. I am just going to chat a bit about the topic. Some years ago the move was made by the public utility companies to reduce the number of payment facilities and outsource this function to secondary agencies namely Bills Express and Paymaster. This was to have benefits all around...more efficient service for the customers and less overheads and headaches for the company......everybody happy. Wrong!!!! well the greedy collection companies have decided that they are now going to be charging the customers a transaction fee, so with an already inflated utility bill you are now forced to fork out even more money just to pay for the utility. I can see it now......lines returning to the utility offices because I think it is highway robbery to tag a cost to each transaction just to pay for something. It's like walking into a supermarket and paying for stuff at the cashier and then have to pay the cashier for cashing your goods. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!! Well apparently is not me alone thinking this because the Office of Utiliies Regulation has taken issue with the matter following complaints from the public. I guess they will have to examine the situation and possibly force the utility companies to make the payment facility accesible to the public at convenient locations. At this point I can't tell you where a C&W office is located in downtown Kingston. I know NWC and JPS have offices at Church Street but them limited and far between............................... :(
We'll see what comes out of it.
Are they actually istening to the "will of the people"?
Anyway guys have a great weekend. We here are being swamped with some rain but it has certainly cooled down the place a whole lot. Travel time has been severely affected though. I floated through some water yesterday morning but made it to office. This morning was just light showers. My plants are certainly expressing sincere joy so I guess we have to suffer small inconveniences for the good that will come about.

4 comments:

CoolDestiny said...

I too am enjoying the weather but not the extra travel time. I've left about 10 minutes earlier these past 2 days to alleviate it a little bit.

As to the tiefin' collections agencies who are already collecting a commission of a fixed % from the utility companies, they need to just go to hell. I stopped paying my bills at Bill Express since the fee was introduced going to Paymaster. It is grossly unfair and the consumers are always made to pay. Where is the Fair Trading Commission and the Consumer Affairs groups in all of this? They are just like Jamaicans for Justice in my opinion, only heard when it affects "one of their own". If I have to resort to paying my bills online I'll do that.

Abeni said...

That bill thing sounds crappy.I would just go back to the lines or whatever other option there is.Am jealous of the rain you getting,it is just too hot and humid here

Mad Bull said...

The OUR had better make a stand on this. If they don't I suggest you all don't pay your bills on time. Get evferyone to pay the bills a day late. When JPS sees the blip in their daily cash flow and connect it with the rhetoric the public is spouting on this issue (and with threats of worse to come), they will force the Money Expresses and the Paymasters to "F" off with that!

Cool Destiny, I disagree with the statement about JFJ. I have never seen them campaigning for "one of their own". They are mostly people in the "well to do" section of the society and they usually champion the cause of the "have nots".

Rev Island said...

What about paying on line?