Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Dream Car Gar...........

I really don't have much to share with you this morning so I thought I would post about something I like. The photos above are of the various models of the Subaru Impreza WRX. The one on the far left is the 1999 (version IV I think). Some of the more detailed-happy among you may be able to tell the difference. That shape started with it's introduction in 1995 or there abouts and remained relatively unchanged until the 2000 model year. In 2001 the design was changed and the new bubble eyed model was introduced (second photo). This model was, in the eyes of the Scooby fanatic, a step in the wrong direction. Although Subaru's have never been good looking cars they were at least acceptable and their performance figures made up for any shortcomings in the looks department. Subaru listened to their customers and the falling sales figures and the headlights were changed in the next model year (third photo) for the European market and the subsequent year in the American market. The early model WRX was not available in the US as the requirements for emissions and other performance regulations were not easily met by this powerhouse.
The final photo is the 2006 WRX. Chances are there will be very little differences. The early model machines carried a 2 litre turbocharged engine in a flat 4 boxer design. The lastest model's displacement is up to 2.5 litres but the engine design remains the same.
These machines have been my fantasy ride from their introduction. Even today I still prefer the original shape of the car to the latest model. I think it had more finesse and was more pleasing to the eye. Alas owning one of these remains a dreamand will remain a dream for a long while to come. Brake pads for my Nissan runs at about J$600 whilst I have seen guys paying upwards of J$50,000 for a set of pads for these babies. Heck after two pad changes I could buy another Nissan.
For now I just look, admire and dream.....one day one day.........
Later guys.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

THe STi is my first love, but my favourite design was the first set, too bad about the gearbox issues, and from what I've heard about KIG, as dr. d. says ... sorry... not a ra$$

Mad Bull said...

Well, Scratchie, with prices like that, you better strike oil in your backyard Iyah! Still, what are the prices if you source them on the 'net and ship them down yourself? Check that out, otherwise you might never buy one.

Angry Dog said...

Hey Scratchie...I'm confused, the one top left looks more like a 2.5RS...for some reason I thought the WRX looked a bit more aggressive...I dunno why--speaking of which, I almost bought a 2000 2.5RS the other day, but I would've been broke as a joke! Insurance on the WRX here is nasty iya! I know a bredrin paying $1000 a month (US)

Scratchie said...

Yup Zara....firstly welcome...yes the STi is the way to go.
MB with these babies there is no such thing as cheaper. Once you have the STi version dollars haffi strong. may be able to get them for like 30,000 up but quality is an issue.
AD...these are all supposed to be STi versions of the WRX. It's hard to tell the difference between the trim levels since the bodies are basically the same. It is a WRX but I have doubts about the STi label since the brakes are usually larger and the rear wing on the earlier STi's were huge. The wheels make a difference too. The easiest to identify are the 2 door versions since the body flares are more pronounced and easier to spot.

Marc M said...

Sweet peace of car yes.

CoolDestiny said...

The STi rocks! I have a friend who is absolutely obsessed with them.

Scratchie, it it is your dream car, you could consider (if you are up to it), buying it "crashed" and doing the repairs when you ship it down ... it may work out cheaper cause they sell them dirt cheap when all it may need is a bumper and other minor things.

Unknown said...

Dah car deh hard stiil. Fast nuh sh..! Has anyone seen the new honda civic? Hard!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, very interesting!