Friday, September 30, 2005

Finally, Friday has gotten here.....

Well today is Friday and I'm really up to my neck in work. I got the last of the parts needed to complete my cars brake system upgrade. By now you can probably tell that I'm more than comfortable in troubling things on the car. I decided the other day that instead of just servicing the braking system that I was gonna make it better.
Well joy of joys...Nissan uses basically the same type of system throughout its model line-up. So I bought some used calipers and rotors and have reconditioned them with new washers and got the rotors cleaned and cut. These have come off a newer Nissan Sunny/Sentra for you US people (remember mine is an old model 1991) and are slightly larger and much improved for stopping power. So next step is installation...coming on Saturday to a Nissan near me :) . I'll let you know how it goes...or you may read about me in the local papers.
Next project will be either bodywork and paint (which I can't do myself) or engine swat to the famed sr20 (sr20det is known to provide major smiles in Nissan circles) which I can do with some help but will probably take the easy way out and pay a mechanic to do it with me standing over his shoulders to make sure it is done right.
You are wondering why....well just for the heck of it really. Used parts are cheap here and in relatively unlimited supply so most people opt to use them instead of new parts. Secondly, cars are expensive so most people hold onto their cars for really long periods. In my case I am paying some really serious school fees so I opted to buy an old car and eliminate the loan repayments until I see myself clear. So until then I just have fun fassing with it. Unlike the US, leasing is not an option that we have so it's buy or nothing.
Anyways this is my last car related post for a while since I know I only speak to a small segment of the visitors here but sometimes we kinda have to write for ourselves...nuh true?
You all have a great weekend and I'll try post over the weekend (if I can wrestle the computer away from the children).

7 comments:

Angry Dog said...

Bwoy Scratchie, I really wish I had the garage space to work on my car here for sure! There's a lot of things I'd like to do with it, but just don't have the space! Anyhow, have a good weekend and be safe...will talk to you soon!

Abeni said...

Arrite,mr mechanic.Good luck on your car job

Camille said...

You should take picts, scratchie ... I for one would be interested in the process. :)

Unknown said...

I have been thinking about servicing my car myself, but I don't have the time of a place to do it. I can always borrow the tools. So I end up paying a mechanic to do it.

As for modificaltions, my salary don't allow that. I think I'll be doing some body work myself, about late 2008. By that time I should be finished paying bothh my school and car loan. Yuh damn right bout buying or nothing...bwoy things hard in di yah country yah!

Japronika said...

just showin luv...

Mad Bull said...

Sir Scratchie, you know what I need... a bredrin who lives near me who like take on jobs like that and can guide me so I can learn how to do it! That would be way cool, becuz mechanic work cost nuff money, rasta... btw, maybe you should come outta de HR thing and open up a garage. Ok, so you might not feel that you are A-1 up to speed in the mechanic department, but you could hire some full-time mechanics and mostly focus on running the place.
What you think? Do it man, you'll make mega bucks and when I com to Jam, you can carry me out to Lime Cay pon your yacht!

Marc M said...

I too don't know much about the mechanics thing but I imagine it saves good money when you can service your own car.