Monday, September 19, 2005

Oh Wow!

Image hosted by Photobucket.comThe attached photo, taken from the Jamaica Observer September 13, 2005, is that of Miss Jamaica World Terri-Karelle Griffith. You can read more of their article here.

I saw an interview with Miss Griffith over the weekend and the caption of my blog could be her pet phrase. She used it so many times during the discussion. I hasten to add that I mean this in no dissenting way. In fact I am actually quite taken aback by the atmosphere created by this young lady, a trait so very rare in modern society. She possesses the ability to captivate the audience simply witha smile. The photo above does her no justice. She is what I would describe as a natural beauty.

The interview allowed her the freedom to articulate her command of language and her ability to think and reason.

Terri-Karelle is a past student of Campion College and hails from Portmore St. Catherine.

She is 23 years old and is studying to be a veterinarian at the University of Cuba.

I have attached a copy of another interview for your viewing:

Why did you decide to enter the competition: "Initially because of family and friends who were always encouraging me to enter, because they think I have the potential to become a Miss Jamaica World. Apart from that, I look at the competition as a door to many opportunities, apart from exposure, it helps with personal development. What is your best quality: "I have been told it is my personality. I have a bubbly spirit. I am always the one to relax everyone, and the one to make everyone feel welcome. I am very passionate when it comes to people." If you could change one feature or thing about yourself what would it be: "I wouldn't change anything. Many of us have so much to give God thanks for. We always find faults with ourselves, if not physical, it's emotional, and we need to stop and think that there are a lot of people who are missing so much more ... So I have to be grateful that I can see, speak, feel." Why do you think you should win: "I think I should win because this is a competition that looks for the best package, and it's not just beauty, it is intelligence, eloquence ­ she has to have a personality. I have all of that, so I would be a very good candidate to be Miss Jamaica 2005." Name one difficulty you have faced in the past and have overcome: "Very recently, despite my confidence, I was still self-conscious, and imagining myself parading on a catwalk in front of people, it just wouldn't happen. Entering this competition and saying 'you know what, I can do this', and shedding myself of that insecurity, I believe it is a serious difficulty that I had in the past and overcame." Give one word to describe yourself: "Bubbly" If you could have lunch with one person, who would it be and why: "His Excellency Sir Howard Cooke. I always wanted to be a veterinarian and at eight years old ... I wrote him a letter saying I wanted to provide for strayed animals in Jamaica. I didn't like the fact that they were being mistreated, so I wrote him a letter telling him that, and the fact that he was kind enough to grace me with a reply I don't think words could express how appreciative I am." Name one beauty queen you look up to and why: "Jade Fulford. I was a fellow classmate of hers, we both attended Campion College and I knew Jade and she was very shy and always quiet. I was so overwhelmed and proud to see how she burst out of that shell, and outdid herself, and I think she represented us to the best of her ability." How does being in the competition affect your career goals, and will it affect them if you win: "Regarding my career goals, I really don't see the competition affecting them. I am a focused person, and I do intend on finishing my career. I see this competition as a way of improving self. Should I win, I would have to defer for a year ... and there won't be a problem deferring my career for one more year." What is the most important job that someone could do: "I believe that is parenting. It is a clich�, but everything starts from the home, and I believe that parents have the hardest responsibility to their children, and ultimately to society. How they raise their children is an idea or reflection as to how these children will be when they become adults and what their roles will be in society."

I do not know how she will do in a contest that many persons feel is biased towards blonde hair, blue-eyed contestants with the ocassional cultural and racial diversity thrown in for good measure. What I feel is that this young lady is the first in a long while to represent the true image of our island. How will they accept the natural hair and person is anybody's guess.

Win or lose, she is Miss Jamaica World, the best that Jamaica has to offer and I implore you to represent us well.

Best wishes.

7 comments:

Abeni said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abeni said...

Good luck to her.Seems like her natural hair has surprised a lot of people.

Mad Bull said...

But her hair didn't look matural to me! You sure it natural, super?

Mad Bull said...

Then again.... I just went to the Miss Jamaica World site and it look sorta naturalish... It never look as natural to me here though...

Hey, what do I know. Maybe she has that certain something about her, like Cathy Levy had... Maybe she is something special. We'll see...

Unknown said...

I agree with you scratchie, she is indeed beautful. Nice beautiful jamaican princess. i hope she does well in the competition. A long time Ja. nuh win.

Anonymous said...

She's so purrty and a very nice girl... she was the year above me in school and I don't have any bad memories of her...

Yamfoot said...

that must have been the On Stage interview last saturday night. Yes, she did say "oh wow" quite a bit, but I didnt find it annoying funnily enough.

She is so natural and articulate.

Saw her at the gym on Thursday but she was on the telephone so could only wave rather than chit chat.