Friday, February 24, 2006

25 February 2006

Yes I know I'm a little early and that today is the 24th but bear with me for just a few lines. Tomorrow will be a "fun" time on the roads of Kingston. Gibson Relays will be held at the National Stadium. These relays set the tone for the remainder of the track and field season in the island. It will be followed by Boys and Girls Champs and then select athletes will travel to the Penn Relays with a few smaller meets thrown in for good measure. I do hope that they have a succesful meet.
Tomorrow will also mark a very important day in the history of Jamaica. Tomorrow PNP delegates will go to the polls to elect a new leader of the PNP. Some 4000 persons are expected to cast their votes and decide the fate of the rest of us 2-6 million people or so. The election, as small as it will be, has disrupted so many activities that it's not funny. The elections will be held on the campus of Jamaica College however each delegate has a headquarter somewhere nearby. Now anybody who is aware of our political system knows that you don't want to be in any area nearby when those party supporters are around. They are usually a law unto themselves. So whereas I would normally have gone up to campus on a Saturday...I will opt to work from home this weekend since one of the delegates has been given permission to use a part of the school for their headquarters. From past experience, I going to stay far.
Later in the evening at the announcement ceremony the roads will again be blocked in the vicinity of the Party headquarters to allow for that meeting. It's a good thing that I don't think they have a lot of traffic going that way at 4:00 on a Saturday afternoon.
Well, tomorrow at 6:00 or thereabouts the nation will know who the delegates have chosen to be the new leader of the PNP and ultimately the Prime Minister of our island. I am not sure of how the entire process works whether it has to be ratified by Parliament or approved by some other body or..... Whatever the process, we await the outcome...............
Have a great weekend all.

6 comments:

CoolDestiny said...

I will staying in the quiet confines of St. Catherine, thank you very much! Mi nuh inna dem hype ting at all!

Angry Dog said...

Man, I tell you, it's not a pretty thing that going on with this election business at all my friend, though I am backing Portia.

Abeni said...

The track meets soun dlike fun.I hope the best person win the elections-who you backing scratch?

Unknown said...

I know I will be staying as far as possible. Straight to work and back, mi not even a drive New Kingston route!

Hopefully, things don't get out of hand and ruin the fun laterat Yesterday!

Don't think I will be taking in the Gibson Relays at all, too near to the PNP fracas.

De Immigrant said...

Yes boss, tings and time will tell!!
As usual JC bears the seed of some of the greatest decisions and decision makers affecting our country!

Mad Bull said...

De Immigrant, Portia never go JC! Ah who you a chat bout? You sure say who you a chat bout great? After all, if they corrupt your future by sending you to JC, how far can you hope to go, you know? ;-)