Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Happenings...

Well after an exhausting day at work (we are actually having useless interviews) I had the "pleasure" of accompanying my wife and the short one (my daughter) to the supermarket. In Jamaica, exhaustion and supermarket prices don't mix. It sent me into a state of depression for a couple of hours. I tend to shop weekly simply because I don't use a lot of non-perishables and secondly because I have a teenage son and the short one is only a couple of months away from teenage status. Need I say more about why I don't overstock the house. Let me explain for those who don't know...dem nyam dun di place!!!! (they eat and eat as long as food is there.) I find the price levels since Ivan really ridiculous. Prices aren't inching up, they're doing high jump. The sad part is that both my wife and I are employed to the public sector and there is currently a memorandum of understanding which prevents the public sector from obtaining salary increases for the next two years providing certain conditions are maintained. I'm waiting to see what happens because "dem price wah mi ah si out a road nuh pretty". (The prices that are meeting the consumer are exhorbitant.) Anyway I recovered from the sticker shock and will go through this again in about a week or so. As an aside: I heard that the agent for the house I used to rent before purchasing my own died over the weekend. He is survived by a wife and several children (at least three that I remember). They always treated us more than fairly and we used to on occassion end up sitting and chatting with them for extended periods. We were there when they were buying their own home and having their own difficulties. They are good people and he was not an old person so it came as a shock to me. If you are so inclined please keep that family in prayer as they strive to deal with the loss of a husband, father and friend. Rest in peace Edwin.

5 comments:

Angry Dog said...

Hey Scratchie,
I tell you that it's amazing how certain factors can influence the price of something--i.e. how the hell does a hurricane cause a x% markup on food items when all lines of trade are still open? Just like here in the US where gas prices jump because it's announced that the cost in oil from the middle east will increase (and the barrels haven't even left shore as yet!). I'd like some professor of economics to sit me down and draw some diagram that explains to me how the hell the demand can have that much elasticity when the supply is still at the same levels!

My condolences to the family of Edwin. They will be in my prayers.

{arf,arf}

Mad Bull said...

Sorry to hear about the high prices making you low! ;-) Oh, and if I remember to pray tonight, I will include Edwin. I find that I usually don't remember anything about prayers, actually... You know what? Mek me do a ting now...

Anonymous said...

Dr. D. Scratchie, supermarket is generally not a place I like to go to either. Once a week, no more. I am out in 30 minutes, at the end of which there is this damn bill!

AD, the hurricane has affected the supply of fresh vegetables and fruits especially. Everyting blow weh. It also killed chickens. Hence, eggs and to some extent, chicken meat is short. Is Florida eggs on the supermarket shelf now. Bananas are also in short supply. Consequently, when supply is low, you haffi pay top dollar if you want the goods. Or, if you wish you can pay heavily for the oversized tasteless imported vegetables.

Scratchie, I know too well about the salary freeze (even though I got a 'smalls' increase at the beginning of this contract. The economy really squeezing man hard in a sensitive place!

Anonymous said...

And sorry about Edwin. I will try to remember him too.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Edwin. My prayers and thoughts are with his family. It is devastating to lose a family member, no matter the age or reason or even if we have time to prepare.

Tek time with the supermarket thing...Prices high fi true in Ja. (if you ask me at any time of the year!)