Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Life...

The age and life argument continues. Having been around on good old planet earth for close to 40 years it just dawned on me that life has its own way of working stuff out. I remember growing through prep school and high school my sights were set on being a pilot. I tried the subjects required in high school and well let's just say that here I am twenty odd years later working in a financial institutions HR Department and pursuing a degree in Human Resource Administration. I wasn't a chat up the girls type but today I am happily married and have been for 17+ years, I have two children who have grown up bridging my moral values and today's norms and coincidentally the majority of my friends are female. I get so keyed up about flying now that I don't know how the pilot thing would have worked out. I think life has been good just totally different from what I had planned. What were your dreams as a child and have they materialized? Sunshine has asked the married folks a question. Answer her nuh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange but true, as a child I always imagined myself as married and living abroad (away from Ja.) for no particular reason. I saw myself as living by the water and for the first 7 years here in Canada I did.
I also always imagined myself a mother (3 kidlets and YES we have stopped counting!). I have had more dreams as an adult. My writing, my storytelling for the younger set...these have all materialized. Now if we could just work on winning the lottery :-)

Anonymous said...

Scratchie...life does have a way of 'sorting us out' for true. Then again, sometimes due to complacency on our part, some things just don't happen for us...we can help to create our destiny, right? I think I posted about this long ago. My view is that God has a plan or blueprint for all of our lives. But, as He gives us a conscience and the right to choice, we can modify the blueprint.

I too at one time used to think about becoming an airline pilot. However, as much as I like to travel, I don't relish spending my working hours in a cockpit (too small a space) and living out of a suitcase in this country and then the next. I'm the type of individual who needs a certain degree of constancy to life. When that gets offset, my GI tract acts up. So, here I am in medicine.

When I was young(er);-) and did not know better, I dreamed of being a Neurosurgeon! (Yeah, right.) Those ideas perished quickly when I was in medical school. Dermatology grabbed me when I was a student doing the Dermi clerskhip. The love affair still continues to bear fruit.

I surely would like to have the Dr. D. genes continue, my paternal instincts have been scratching (for want of a better word).....but as I have been known to say....nothing in life happens before its time. Good thoughts. I have been enjoying reading and commenting on your posts.

Take it easy man.