Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Thoughts...

I left out early this morning trying to beat the traffic that has been meeting my better half on her way to her job (she teaches at one of the high schools here in JA). They start classes at 7:45 a.m. which is earlier than most offices. This one car thing is madness but when yuh cyaan do betta..... I was surprised to see one of my co-workers coming in at that hour as well. We were chatting about school because I know she is thinking about going to college in the fall, so I was encouraging her to ensure that she actually goes. I know full well the folly of waiting till mid-life to do studies since I'm enduring that now. In chatting with her, I marvelled at the fact that I actually graduated from high school some twenty-three years ago. Time certainly flies. Our conversation was well rounded and I felt good hoping that I had accomplished something good for the morning. She is a really cool person and I hope she does well. The main topic this morning in the news was the pressure being place on our nation by the groups who are supportive of alternate life styles (gays and lesbians). It is a touchy topic. I don't have an issue with persons who wish to pursue these lifestyles although I do not agree with it, but to each his own. What I do have an issue with is the pressure being brought to bear by developed countries who know we are relying on their almighty dollar to survive. What is happening is that our various sectors are being force to operate contrary to our existing laws. I think our laws are outdated, discriminatory and need to be changed, but that is for us to change and not for outsiders to dictate. I dare to say that we as a nation could not go to any of these countries and force them to alter operations and laws because we didn't like it. I honestly wish we could say "GO TO H_ _ L!!!" but alas we've got to suck it up again. Till later.....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hail up scratchie. Dr. D. giving you a read. Man get large now! Nice that you have decided to build your own yard.

Anyway, you have already been linked.

I share similar views to yours here. You might have seen this Gleaner article. Any chance of me and Solja Bwoy seeing you at the "Office" later?

Anonymous said...

So you are deserting the Tower Scratchie, Never mind i will still catch you here. I'll just be lonely now.
Ciya

Stu said...

Scratchie! If you graduated high school 23 years ago, you and I must be close in age. I am 41. I went to St. Cecelia Prep, and then one full year of JC before moving to the U.S.

I totally agree with you on your position not only on law making, but anything to do with what is right for your own country.

In the US Presidantial debates, President George Bush says he does not need any International permission to defend the U.S. while his opponent Senator John Kerry wants to "pass the International test" before taking action.

Anyway, on the gay/lesbian topic, I was only 13 when I left Jamaica in 1976 so I didn't have any visibility to the moral climate, but I would guess that most Jamaicans fall on the side of being conservative when it comes to topics like gay/lesbian issues. Thoughts?

Stu said...

Scratchie,
I came across this post from another Jamaican blogger. It's somewhat related to your post.

http://sweetjamz.blogspot.com/2004/10/gays-rule.html

Scratchie said...

Thanks for the comments guys.

No Ciya I am definitely not jumping ship. You'll see me there quite often. It has actually become my morning routine to check all the various blogs that I am familiar with and I don't think MB is ready to kick me just yet.

Stu, we are about the same age I am almost 40. The climate is still conservative but definitely softening. In my school days two men together could be seriously injured or killed just for being gay. I think people have changed with the times but I can't tell you that it is still not taboo. I think it is a case of 'do what you want just don't bring it to me' because people have more critical issues to worry about. I'll check out the site shortly.

Scratchie said...

BTW Stu,
I have only been giving cursory glances to the presidential debates but from what I've seen, I like the thought put behind Kerry's responses. But then again..."si mi an come live wid mi is two different ting!"
(For any non-Jamaicans out there... What you see about someone from a distance can be quite different when you have to actually deal with them in a particular situation.)

Anonymous said...

Scratchie,

I tried to comment on your post this morn, but suppem wasn't working. So, I'll drop it here.

Irish showers....hmm. Anyhow, as one with a very large collection of colognes myself, I guess I know what 'stink o cologne' means. I don't put on that much that it overpowers others though.

Careful how you trek in the downtown side bredrin! Dr. D.

Anonymous said...

Doc, not because we was raised up polite like, and so we doh say nuttin, but sometimes you splash on too much of the perfumery still!
Scratchie, I think its great that you launched out on your own like this... it suggests that you're probably really into this blogging thing. I am not kicking you out of the Tower at all either. Feel free to post there anytime.