Friday, May 20, 2005

Hail Up All

Welll I'm Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has been just about 1 week since I posted here. I've actually missed it terribly. It's easy to see how we can get hooked into a pattern. I was actually away on training. No, not away away...just out of office. The course was entitled Strategic Human Resource Management. The days were long but quite informative. The presenter, a UK national, went out of her way to ensure that we received maximum benefit from a woefully too short training experience.
The activities were well planned, informative and entertaining. We were there at the venue from 8:30 in the morning to 6:00 in the evening with an hour for lunch and 2 x 15 minute breaks. In all honesty I was very apprehensive when we were given the schedule but if energy levels had permitted we would have stayed until midnight just to see what would come next.
It was indeed a pleasure to meet other persons in my field and to interact with persons at higher and lower levels of the HR ladder.
Another key benefit is the network that will undoubtedly form as a result of this interaction.
After those long days my body is telling me that I should give it a rest but we have a holiday on Monday so I'll just need to survive today and rest up on the weekend. This is a must since my summer semester starts on Tuesday....arrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!
Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it but then I remember the assignments and the class schedules and.........
The Tall One is in the middle of his own exams. I have not been at him about the studying and the extra work needed. I figure he will have to find out for himself if the efoort he has made is enough. Bottom line is that I can't do the work for him. Told wifey that this morning and she was a little peeved because she is the sort of person who takes up everything on her shoulders. If they don't complete assignments in time she sits up and helps them. In other words the mother hen type thing. My view is that if they have sufficient time to do the work and they play around with the time then suffer the consequences. I think it's a lesson more of our children need to learn. Her view is that she doesn't see him working and she doesn't see the effort and he does everthing last minute and slap dash and.... I kinda just stopped her and asked her exactly what can she do about it. Are you going to learn for him, are you going to study for him? Her response is that she can't help the worrying and she can't stand by and let him..... Bottom line is that she is going to have to find a way to stop doing the over worrying and the fretting and.... It's his life and if he doesn't see the need now then maybe by experiencing the realities of the rewards he reaps will push him to do better. I will help her to deal with the method she devises but it has to be her method. I can only suggest and say what I see. The doing has to be hers.
Let's see if she tells me about my parts later on...heh heh heh.
Anyways I think I need to stop chattering and go do some work so later all.

9 comments:

CoolDestiny said...

Welcome back!

I think your wife is not only being a mother hen but is also looking out for both your interest because if he fails, they undoubtedly you will have to pay for him to repeat the course which we know is not cheap these days. You can't learn for the children but provide all the guidance you can to encourage them to take a more serious approach to work.

Jdid said...

boy i din realize you in HR, i may have to ask you for some tips.

I hope your son figures things out. sometimes kids dont have to be in the books all the time to do well though so maye he's more prepared for the exams and stuff than you guys think

Scratchie said...

Agreed guys but there has to be a point where he pulls his weight. He is at a point now where he now goofs off (with projects) and it is expected that mom will be there to find the answers. In other words he doesn't try to help himself before seeking outside help. The first resort is now mom usually at the last minute.
I figure he will do reasonably well but the nerves are frayed...

Anonymous said...

Yow, welcome back rudes.

Agree with your approach to the Tall One, nutten wrong with assisting, but him haffi do him work. Maybe is the man in me a talk. Anyway, rest up de body on de weekend, cause you know what four letter word returns Tuesday! Dr. D.

Anonymous said...

welcome back!!! busy man but networking is always good. glad your conference went well.

tall one, well what can you do. i agree with you letting him see what the fruits of his work efforts are but i also might be the one to play mother hen type. your approach is fine and miss scratchie is as well. to each his own even in the parenting world.

have a wonderful weekend and enjoyr your holiday. tuesday makes for a busy day. nena

Mad Bull said...

Ahhh, glad to see you again, Sir Scratchie... Now. I can tell by your tone, and by how you were 'willing to stay until midnite just to see what would come next' that nuff nuff phatness was attending the course with you! Wikid... I hope you got the digits 'for our friend Doctor D' who can always use a few good numbers... ;-)
Agree with your approach re the tall one.

Campfyah said...

Scratchie muh man...Wifey will come to the realization that Tall One will eventually have to carry his own weight and she can't carry it for him. In the meantime let her continue to help all she can. When all else fails, Tall One cannot say he didn't get the support from Moms and Pops. The yutes nowadays need the school of hard kncks. That's the only way dey gonna learn.

Abeni said...

Okay,once you done your best he will learn the hard way that he has to prepare or he won't succeed.But he probably figured out how to beat the exams.

Angry Dog said...

Agree with you 100% Scratchie-san! Man and man haffi pull him own weight! Mommy and Daddy ain't gonna be there all the time to help you finish the project that's due for your job tomorrow!