Tuesday, May 10, 2005

One of Those Days

Well today is just one of those days for me. Nothing going on, nothing coming to mind and just feeling downright lazy about everything. You can tell that half the schools have there fifth and sixth formers out. There is the absence of sixth form uniforms and the volume of students making their way to school is reduced. The Tall One is actually on study break himself. His 1st written exam will be on Thursday so he seems to be getting a bit anxious. At this stage though he will just have to do his best. It is a technical subject which he likes so I am hoping that he gets a good paper. I sat at office yesterday and instead of doing the corporation work, I was thinking about office romances. When I joined the organization some 22 years ago there were a few office flings and even some relationships that led to marriage. These days the incidents of marriage have become fewer and further between. I don't think the relationships have stopped, in fact, I think they have increased or at least have become more visible. The younger generation however don't seem too interested in a long term thing. It would seem that the emphasis is just simply good sex and whenever you are ready move on to somebody else quite often right in the same office. I have never been in the office romance situation. I recall one couple that it was at the time that they announced their wedding that people at work knew that they were actually dating. That is no small feat. AIDS has put a damper on the moving around thing. I remember when I first came here there was a particular young lady that was dubbed the "organization's mattress." Not a nice title to have. Yeah, they were horrible in those days too. The general idea was that if you wanted something to lay down on call her. She has certainly changed. As we get on in age I guess we have to mature at some point. Besides, life's realities don't allow you to stay the same. I recall when I first met my now wife, I had no car and it was no problem to leave her house at 10:00 or 11:00 and catch the last bus home with some good walking in between. Times have certainly changed. Between the theft and the murder rate I would not dream of doing that routine in today's Jamaica. The parties were another thing. My breddrin's father allowed us the use of a car that he had parked because of fuel constraints. It was a Toyota Cressida. In his business he worked quite a bit on the road and the car was by no means fuel efficient so he opted to purchase a diesel vehicle and had the wagon parked. We could use it as long as we put gas in it. On quite a few ocassions it was our touring car for the nightclub circuit. Mario's was our favourite back then. It was the hot spot for many teens back then. Low cover charge and no hefty drink buying requirement. It was also central so no out of the way madness. We did our share of touring to the house parties and sometimes just hung out at Road Runner or Shakey's. BTW, none of these places exist anymore. Mario's burnt down and was not rebuilt, Road Runner went bankrupt and Shakey's closed for whatever reason. I figure that in a few years from now the current generation will have the same challenges we had back then. "Where can we go and just sit and chat, no money no music no sex no smoking, just chat?" That was our concern back then. What are their challenges? Maybe something just as simple as ours. Anyways enuff rambling from me. Later all.

6 comments:

Abeni said...

Office romance kinda funny you know.I always wonder how it would feel after a break up to have to go to work and see the person everyday esp if it was a bad break up.Our generation want what we want and we want it now.Plenty people just want a good time and move on.Changing values etc all part of it.Good luck to your son.

Camille said...

Office romances.... sticky at best, downright nasty at worst. Found myself in 2 such situations once. One was actually the best short-term relationship I've ever had (if that is something to be proud of) - the other was kinda sticky at first, but we both left that company, find ourselves working for that same company once again... and are really good friends. I was lucky. *whew* In general tho, I don't like them, too much potential for a total meltdown.

As for Shakeys... I forGOT about that place... I used to spend a good deal of time in Shakey's myself - a pizza or those potato thingies (I forget their name) and a pitcher of Red Stripe.... yea... those were the GOOD old days. *grin*

Jdid said...

I say leave the business and the romance seperate.

Hear ya about where to go and chill these days. back in the days I could do the club thing nowadays i just have to go sit down at somebody house or a lil resturant an talk sum foolishness. cant bother with the party crowds and the disco lights

Mad Bull said...

Bwoy, you have to be careful with the office romance thing... with some people it works out terrible and with others, they find their soul mate. Each person has to decide for themselves, I guess...

Anonymous said...

Never done the office thing. My present Unit well small anyhow.

Is Mojo potatoes they used to have at Shakeys Peeniewallie. I used to like dem bad to. Shakey's fried chicken wasn''t bad in its time. (Lawd I geting ole!) Dr. D.

Yamfoot said...

the name Mario's is familiar, but cant quite rmeember where it was.

Shakey's was in Manor Park andLiguanea....that I remember.