Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Wednesday...Never Rains but.......

Well today was a really hectic day on the roads. Main event for today was the gas retailers strike called by the Jamaica Ggasolene Retailers Association as a heightened measure to pressure Esso into revising its pricing mechanism. As of tomorrow morning, not only will Esso service stations be closed, but ALL gas stations islandwide who are in support of the JGRA's call will be closed as well possibly for 2 days unless some arrangement can be brokered by tomorrow morning. Let me say that I totally disagree with this measure. Whereas I have no problem with the Esso dealers fighting for a better position and payoff, I think the move by the JGRA is irrational, unethical, uncalled for, irresponsible and illegal. I use strong sentiment against the background that the JGRA's issue is the dispute between Esso retailers and the Esso marketing company. If you have a problem with Esso then deal with Esso. Close the Esso stations and have Esso feel the pinch. If the stations not open then they lose money. How the rahtid can you implement a measure that will almost certainly disable an already battered economy. There were so many car scrambling for gas today that travelling in certain parts of town was next to impossible. Why are you holding the public at large for a dispute with Esso. The Fair Trading Commission has indicated that the JGRA's action is illegal and can be pursued in the legal system and, quite frankly, I hope that they are taken to court and fined the maximum fine of $5,000,000.00. It may sound harsh, but I do believe that it is time in this country that those who are given the power, authority and responsibility for the welfare of varying facets of our nation use their power responsibly and exercise prudence in the decisions that they make especially in a situation such as this where there are alternative measures that could be adapted which would have been just as fruitful. I would love to see the JGRA disbanded and declared an illegal entity but on the other hand I do believe in the trade union movement. I am however a realist. The days of the willy nilly "lock it down" are far gone although nobody told the JGRA this. We need to examine how we do things and how we resolve the problems that we encounter whether it is in dealing with the government, multi-nationals, marketing companies, employers or any other force of social political or economic existence. By now you can see that I am pissed and blowing my top......... Guess we all need to vent sometimes. Later all.
UPDATE: Strike called off but some stations totally out of fuel so shortage for a while.

4 comments:

Abeni said...

Hush

Unknown said...

I escaped the mad rush, as every wednesday morn my gas runs out so I had to put in some gas before school. I say the gas stations in the evenin though. The one across from Merl rove was jammed, cars were on the road. I was so upset that I didn't carry my camera. It would have made a good caption for a blog post.

dorna! said...

That JGRA move sounded like a recipe for mayhem; you've every right to be pissed off.

Rev Island said...

Not good at all. Not a measure to support overall existence in Yard, not to mention tourism, and international investors. Distressing.