Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Donkey

Hi All, I'm not too bad today. Helped the Tall One a bit with another part of his assignment. There was a part that I couldn't figure out so we worked at it for a while and then decided that we needed additional reinforcements. He will ask about it today in class. Here is an interesting poem that I have heard many times. You may need to read it a few times to get it. THE DONKEY When fishes flew and forests walked And figs grew upon thorn, Some moment when the moon was blood Then surely I was born. With monstrous head and sickening cry And ears like errant wings, The devil's walking parody On all four-footed things. The tattered outlaw of the earth, Of ancient crooked will; Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb, I keep my secret still. Fools! For I also had my hour; One far fierce hour and sweet: There was a shout about my ears, And palms before my feet. Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) My paternal grandfather was a very learned but very humble person. I remembered him this morning and some of the things he used to say to us. Things we half the time thought he was just kidding around chatting nonsense. I found out, after many years of not realizing it, that he was actually a straight "A" student with the exception of one year when he was not in the top spot of his year due to him having sustained an injury that kept him out of classes for an extended period of time. I think that year he came second in his year. He continued to excel right through school even when he was forced to work and send himself to school due to lack of funds. He held his job, did his schooling and participated in cricket and football. He loved his garden and family and was always willing to help. I think I finally settled to my schooling after seeing his record. Intersting the things that drive you to do better. The item at the top was one of his favourites. I really don't know what he saw in it. Maybe it was what it said about his own life...I don't know. What I do know is that he spoke it often. Grandpa died almost 20 years ago but his memory lives on in those whose life he touched in his gentle way. I have fond memories of him and remember him through his quotes. Have a great day all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you cool today.

I may need to read the poem again, but not till later. The FOUR letter word starting with W calls. (Which four letter word were you thinking? ;-))

So, Gramps was a big brains?? So whappen rude bwoy....you never get none o the genes?? Hush you hear Scratchie, is jus school days continuing! Enjoy de day! Dr. D.

Abeni said...

Hey

Good poem.I take it to mean that everything/one has its value even though it may not seem so.Funny,how most of us have these lasting memories of our grandparents eh.So many things they taught us in their own gentle and not so gentle way.

Mad Bull said...

So, explain the poem to a literary dunce, nuh man? Whats up with telling me and not making me understand it? Glad you feeling cooler still!

Jdid said...

good story

Scratchie said...

Basically what Kami said is near enough. It describes the life cycle of a donkey. He was born against basically all the odds. Not a very good looking creature. You would just put him aside. But eventually his worth is seen through all that he can do. I think the last part is a reference to his carrying Christ into Jerusalem on roads strewn with palm branches. It's supposed to tell the story from lowly beginnings to the place of pride.