Thursday, April 07, 2005

The Morning After

Hey guys, Just a quick howdy this morning. With the changing of age I was reminded yesterday that my drivers permit expired on my birthday so today I take my 3rd trip to the tax office to have it renewed. I don't figure the police will be too hard if I get stopped for anything but I don't like the idea of it not being up-to-date, especially with so mant fools on wheels out there. The insurance companies are just looking for ways to deny claims. Seems that the police have stepped up efforts in some Spanish Town communities to quell the violence going on there. Now they have instituted a lockdown of the area so as to search and restrict movement of anything or anyone. It sound a little drastic to me especially seeing the cordoning methods...razor wire. Then again drastic measures for drastic times. It could be worse. There have been outcry about excessive measures but then one could argue that there is really no other way to address the issues because the police are certainly not getting any help from within the areas affected so they do what they have to do. The main complaints are from people who claim that they cannot move about as they wish and "...don't want police in the area!" and I ask the question why? These are the same folks who complain that they are not getting any assistance from the police and can't go about their business because of violence. My view is Make up your mind people. Which is the better of two evils. Personally I would prefer the police presence and at the end of the day I can live with a bit more peace of mind when they have left the area. I have not heard of any claims of brutality so........then again you don't hear everything. It raned again yesterday...yaaaayyyyy!!!!!!!!! Labour Day is around the corner. Seems that Hurricane Ivan has opened a few eyes. The focus will be to recover faster from natural disaster. The thrust is towards keeping the environment in such a way so as not to promote the effects of a natural disaster. It is something that I have always wonered. 1stly why do people think that the gully is a appropriate garbage disposal system, 2ndly why throw the garbage in the gully and then quarrel that the government not keeping it clean and finally why wait until a hurricane is on top of us to try and clean every gully in the island at a moments notice. People are such strange creatures. It is unfortunate that the people who always get affected by the wanton acts of others are those not involved. The reality is that the garbage is going to wash somewhere down the systen until it joins up with other garbage and can't move anymore and it is the persons down stream that will be flooded out. Oh boy!!!...Life. Anyway no more chatter and garbage from me :) . Later all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't bodda talk about gullies....my house is surrounded by gullies on three sides...we have had our fair share of woes associated with that over the years.... including the 'lawyer' that lives next to us who proclaims that it is 'HIS RIGHT' to throw garbage in the damn thing! Reported him to the authorities pronto...it is no longer HIS RIGHT!

Hope the Tax Office 'ting is not too tedious for you...remember, the credit card lines make a big difference. Think mine expires Sept. this year as well. Dr. D.

Abeni said...

Seems like it is Cbean problem re dumping garbage in gullies/drains.Even though it always flood up the place people still don't care.

Scratchie said...

Dr.D. yuh really have some idiots who are supposed to be educated. A degree does not an intellectual make.
Kami I tell you we share almost everything except the accents.
BTW Doc the credit card line thing doesn't work downtown. They have limited space so they put a c/c machine at every other window so the focus is on the three lines rather than your type of transaction.
I am legal again though. Got through in less than 3/4 of an hour so I won't argue. They need to streamline their system a bit though. It's go upstairs fill in forms, pay downstairs, go upstairs with receipt wait to do photo and then wait to get permit. Must be a shorter route to it than that. I'll advise them for a fee :)

Mad Bull said...

So you survived the "cutover" to the forties! ;-)
Yeah, those who dump in gulies should be exterminated and their bodies dumped in the gullies, thats what I say...

Anonymous said...

Scratch, I remember a number of years back a 4 HOUR ordeal to get my permit....so I guess 3/4 hour not bad. But still....advise dem. 15-20 minutes woulda irie.

I have also myself wondered why the ra$$ we can't pay the fitness fee at the said examination depot where the car is tested....or am I just very fool fool or what??

"A degree does not an intellectual make!" You done know....

Might I add that said 'lawyer' had sort of 'disappeared' for a about three years about six years back....claimed he was gone to 'find himself!' Finally, him deh pon the crew that lobbying hard for the legalisation of ganja here.....the smell of the goodly stuff regularly comes over the fence into our yard!

OK, back to the gungo peas soup and patty for lunch! Dr. D.

Camille said...

Happy belated, scratchie. I just reaching over here.... well, you know why. *grin*

Yea - fo real on the dumping - people really short-sighted, you know. It's sickening.

Stu said...

I used to play in gullies when I was a kid.

Desiree said...

Getting your Drivers license updated is a wise choice, one really doesn't want trouble with insurance or the police officers for neglecting it! (ahh... they you get a new photo ID with your face at it's new age??)


The garbage problem does sound nasty. There should be huge fines for littering. Up north here, this time of year, when our snow melts we have winters garbage exposed... beats me why some seem to think they can throw garbage out in the winter ... think the snow will keep it covered?? Damn fools!