Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Today is Wednesday...can you imagine

Well it's that time again...school fees are due. I need J$84000.00 to pay my school fees or I won't be able to sit my exams. Haven't a clue where the 1st cent is but I have been blessed so far. Made it to third year and still going so we'll see. Anybody wants to sponsor a young, brilliant, handsome(....let's not get carried away here...OK OK I'll leave out the "young" part heh heh heh) student to the sum of US$1400.00 I'll be forever in your debt. I hope that's a good thing. I left out kinda late this morning so traffic was heavier than normal. Let me put it this way, a five minute late departure can translate into a half an hour extra travelling time. I sat down and for the first time I actually was able to look inside one of our articulated buses. We have some of our public transport service buses that are actually almost twice as long as a regular bus. They are joined in the middle by some hinge type mechanisn and the outer panel looks like an accordion (pickney paper fan). They are so designed to enable the bus to have a shorter turning circle (dem can tek corner). I wonder who sat down and devised that concept. On the Portmore route they have a couple that are joined in 2 places so the bus looks like a snake going down the roads (usually at speeds far exceeding the speed limit I might add). While looking at the marvels of modern technology I remembered when I was 1st at CAST (now the University of Technology) there was a bus on the road they used to call "The Ark". An entrepreneur, seeing the plight of students and his lack of funds, had used a tractor trailer head and had purchased an old car carrier and modified it to accomodate both seated and standing students of both CAST and UWI. It even had buzzers to signal your need to get off at the next bus stop. At the time, on our regular bus system, one would have to get out of your seat and shout at the top of your lungs "One Stop Driver!!!" which quite often went unheard and was only recognized when backed up with expletives or the whole bus joining in the chorus. Either way an uncertain way to travel. It was twice the size of any bus we had then and would rival any we have now in my estimation. It was always crowded but it worked and served its purpose well. Necessity is truly the mother of invention. How times have changed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scratchie, as is you, I will GIVE you $840 of the dollars that you need to pay your fees. You nuh need to pay it back! ;-)

In actual fact, yesterday, I went to the ATM to get a little cash, first since returning from Tobago. Having gone on a bill paying spree before my departure, I essentially have just about enough to take me to the finish line (payday) providing no unexpected eventualities pop up. Sigh!

Them 'harticulated buses'(as I heard someone call them once) are quite something. And yes, they don't move slowly. Dr. D.

Anonymous said...

I too was taken back to younger days by this post Scratchie. I have a friend who we used to call "One Stop Driver". It is a sort of unfortunate story really. This friend was not used to taking the mini-buses but decided to one day to leave her abusive husband. And being Jamaicans, we tek serious tings mek joke and so the group of us called her "One stop driver" for quite some time. In fact, we were all rather proud of her.

Ciya

Anonymous said...

Interesting post... I don't remember that bus from my time at UWI still. I remember hardly ever being able to get a bus up there at all! :(
When did you go there, Scratchie?

Thus spake the Mad Bull.

Scratchie said...

Let's see, I went to CAST 1st in 1985 to 1988 then from 1990-1992. Now I'm back there again only now it's UTECH.

Desiree said...

Interesting looking back in time, and you are so right, necessity does seem the mother of invention in so many circumstances.

Stu said...

Sunshine, yes it was the #27. It used to run from Halfway Tree right to in front of our house. Remember, people used to sit on the wall. I found a big spliff up there on day wrapped in brown paper.