Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Intriguee with....

Has it ever happened to you? I was up for the past few nights watching cricket of all things. This is a sport that I really have no interest in but lack of cable does strange things to you. I find myself watching anything that comes on including soap operas...Generations....yuck!!! but i can give you the story line now. Anyway, I was watching cricket and I noticed the spectators, mostly women from India. They all had varying styles of dresses and spots and colours etc. obviously from different strata of society. I was actually intrigued by the detail and wondered what each represented. I had mentioned on MB's blog that my not too distant decendants on my mother's side actually came from India and yet I know so very little about that culture. Again, I guess because of the upbringing or mindset of those people at that time. On my father's side though I can identify the first time my family name appears in Jamaica's historical records. The first Scratchie was from a Scottish/German theatre company doing shows in Jamaica. Quite a turn around since I am not a lover of theatre. Maybe there are unseen reasons. Who knows? I have a few friends who are of Indian heritage and I will certainly try to satisfy this new found curiousity soon. Anyway has anyone had the experience that a seemingly innocent incident sparks such questions for no apparent reason?

3 comments:

Abeni said...

No,not really.But one time I went with a church group to visit an Old People's home and I found myself wondering what circumstances led them to reach to that state.It actually bothered me for a few days-actually made me wonder where I would be if I were to live to get that old.

Anonymous said...

Don't know if it can be looked at in the same way...but I often wonder (not so much in recent times) why some patients wait until they are in extremis to decide to seek help.

Anyway, you mussi really bored fe stay up a watch cricket...I think I'd prefer to jus hol a sleep. Dr. D.

Desiree said...

Actually Scratchie - I have found that I may see or hear something and then go on a whole different tangent that in the end does seem unrelated to the initial lead. But, sorry I have no actual examples now as my head is clouded by tiredness. :(