Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Tuesday doldrum

Hi all I've been blog surfing this morning. I started with all the links on MB site and then went over to Dr.D. (Doc, quite a few of yours are dead so you'll need to do some house cleaning preferrably today...thank you:)). 'im jus have big man wastin' im time a go tru dead link after dead link cho:). I came across a piece by another Caribbean writer in which she raises questions about "barrel children". I'm not so good with this linking thing so here goes nothing http://hairoun.blogspot.com I think it's an interesting piece and because of my experiences over the past nine years or so I hold it very dear to my heart. One of my dearest friends came from such a background and it is because of her plight that we are friends today. She continues to grow both in spirit and in maturity. I don't think we as parents understand the effect that our seemingly simple actions have on our children. I will be at home and I see my son come to my bedroom door and looks in. He then turns and walks away. Quite the opposite of my daughter who feels that she needs to be around us 24-7. I call him back sometimes and after years of this I realize that he is just checking if I'm there and that everything is OK. He may not crave the attention of us all the time but he likes the security of knowing that he can come if and when he needs to. I don't think my children are in isolation when it comes to parental support. I believe that sometimes it is more important to suffer the financial hardship than to leave our children to the whims and fancy of others. Bottom line is that is dat is not fi dem pickney and dem nah look afta dem like yuh. I am not saying that there are not circumstances that may dictate other actions but I think we in the Caribbean, Jamaica in specific look to parental migration as our first choice without examining the consequences of our actions. If you must migrate include your children please. They are not afterthoughts but should remain primary in our actions. Later guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scratchie, I agree with you. Unfortunately, migration does pose economic constraints on many families. But, I agree that by all costs, you fi tek you pickney dem wid you. Doh lef dem fe Auntie or Granny to raise!

I know that nuff o mi links dead. I need to concur with the Bull to do some cleaning up still. Me nuh too love housework sah..you waan do it fe me...I will pay you a smalls...it can help pay school fee! ;-))

I will check Kami's post later. Me need fe go work. Dr. D.

Abeni said...

Yes,children need the security of knowing their parents are there.It is so important to your whole development.Children grow up so fast and I don't understand why as parents you won't want to share in all the moments.Time hard but stick with your children because it is worth every minute of it.Not sure if my parents will agree:)