Wednesday, February 23, 2005

CQ

I was reading an article in the Harvard Business Review last night after class and found it quite interesting. I thought I would share a bit of it with you. What the backside is CQ? Well since you asked and I'm generous with my ever widing knowledge base I will provide insight into this topic. CQ is ........wait for it............Cultural Intelligence. There I said it. Cultural Intelligence is essentially an individual's seemingly natural ability to intepret someone's unfamiliar and ambiguous gestures in just the way that person's compartriots and colleagues would (according to the article) and even mirror them. We live in a society where we are now constantly interfacing with other cultures. We are here chatting online with people from other countries, from other backgrounds and essentially from other cultures. It is no longer isolated to persons who do business abroad. We here in this circle of bloggers require a certain amount of CQ. According to the article, CQ is related to emotional intelligence but picks up where emotional intelligence leaves off. In it's opening paragraph the writer refers to a poster advertising the global bank HSBC. It shows a grasshopper and the message: "USA - Pest, China - Pet, Nothern Thailand - Appetizer". This one seemingly insignificant insect has three different meanings to three different sets of people, totally unrelated except for their interest in the grasshopper. CQ is essential in today's business environment. A Western businessman meeting with a Japanese investor stands to greet his guest and extends his hand. The Japanese man bows turns and walks away simply because a meeting in the US is opened with a handshake. In Japan the handshake comes at the end of the meeting to seal the agreement. By extending his hand to the Japanese the US businessman has indicated an end to the meeting. By having a high CQ the US businessman would have observed that the Japanese man did not approach with an extended hand and would probably have realized that this was not a part of their culture. One critical element of CQ is the propensity to suspend judgement. Instead we are required to observe current action and predict future action by observing interaction. CQ requires input from 3 sources: head, body and heart. Learning , doing and feeling. The Review puts forward a 6 step process for cultivating your CQ. This process involves identifying strengths and weaknesses, selecting appropriate training, apply training, reorganizes personal resources to support the desired approach, enters the cultural setting that needs to be mastered and finally reevaluate your progress. (Source: HBR October 2004.Article entitled "Cultural Intelligence" by P.Christopher Earley and Elaine Mosakowki) Examine your own CQ. Is it high or low. Later guys.

9 comments:

CoolDestiny said...

Mine is probably somewhere in the middle. As much as I would like to, I can't remember everything. Some things though, like the handshake and wrapping paper, I remember for some cultures. I try to read as much (to learn) ... hopefully I'll get a chance to put my readings into action.

Anonymous said...

Oh well. I suppose we all have learned some CQ from blogging. I suppose I exercise it when dealing with patients.

Personally, I'm not the suck up type tho.....poor candidate for diplomacy eh? Dr. D.

Melody said...

That pest, pet, an' appetizer is very interestin', Scratchie. I've always heard that in high-context Eastern cultures, studyin' de customs an' non-verbal communication can be even more valuable than studyin' de language itself.

Jdid said...

I think my CQ is getting better. Remember when I first came here I used to think certain things about peoples actions but I've learned to watch and learn and suspend judgement. That said dem really doan understand west indians lol

Mad Bull said...

Good post... I'd probably score pretty low.

Abeni said...

Maybe a little above average.And that is due to my time spent in the US because I hung out mainly with non cbean people.

Yamfoot said...

referenced like a true university student....i'm impressed!

well, working in the hotel industry makes you get along with all types, cultures, nationality etc. So i imagine I'd score 'up there'

Camille said...

"CQ" eh? Glad to finally have a name fer it, lemme tell you. I don't know how high or low mines is, but for sure I am aware of the fact that things *are* different wherever you go and I try to observe and blend where possible.

For sure, I've found that the best way to approach the whole issue is to just assume that where you going, they do things different and be open to that fact and prepare to learn something new. *shrug* Works fer me.

Anonymous said...

Wait...no more post from the Scratcher? Where's your CQ rude bwoy? ;-) Dr. D.