Friday, February 18, 2005

Same old, Same old

It's gotten cooler again so I know you guys in Canada have frozen tushies going on. Hush it'll soon be summer again. Why is it so difficult to get teenagers to understand that life doesn't revolve around music, clothes and cell phones? It seems that over the past year or so all I have been doing is stressing myself over the Tall One's study and school habits. He has exams in three months that will determine the path his life takes. We quarrel almost daily and the house has literally become a battle zone. His side: Under too much stress (yeah, right) Too much work ( it is manageable if you don't leave it all till the day it's due) We are always at him to do something (you are always downloading music or chatting on the phone and then expect that all else stops when your assignments are due and you need help) My side; What assignments are due now? (I don't know, I'll have to check) What are the due dates (I don't know, the teacher never said) What are you to do ( I don't know, they haven't finished going through that yet) Now, am I the only one who feels that I am sending this child to school, paying some serious money for him to know stuff and he seems to be coming out the system at the other end knowing less than when I put him in the system in the first place. I have tried and frankly I can't do much more than that at this point. I made a decision a long time ago that I am his parent and not his friend so I will continue to nag the ra$$ out of him until I am satisfied that he at least accomplishes the requirements of basic living on this green and blue ball. I will take the dirty looks and the snide comments (until they get too fresh, then I will shot him a box) as a price to be paid for his own good. I guess I'm seeing things from the other side. Hell, I don't want him to be struggling at school at age 40 like his father. Those were my choices back then. I went to work instead of to college. I did the postponing of education until I decided it was time to get this thing done. I haven't been the worse for it but I can definitely see where my choices could have been better. The most I can do is hope that he will straighten up and fly right. There are too many distractions in life today. My only question is, "where is that sweet child that was born just the other day and who is this that has replaced him?" I am still looking for the answer. Later guys.

7 comments:

Scratchie said...

Part of the problem is that I think he has had it too easy. He is a bright student and seems to grasp things easily so he basically just does bare minimum. I have considered just letting him fail a couple to jolt him to reality.

Abeni said...

Hey Scratchie,blogger issues again.Here's a little secret that most students kinda wise to.Passing CXC'S is not that hard because there is a kind of method to the papers. Generally they repeat exams so if you just observe the trend then you have a pretty good example of how they will set them.Maybe,the Tall one is wise to that and that why he coasting along.I know I was guilty of that but the trend in my year was that the papers were repeated every 3 to 4 years.Good luck with him:)

Jdid said...

yo stratchie,all you can do is try your best with the Tall one. Maybe he thinks that everything will be smooth sailing and he can breeze thru. He will hit a point where it will hit him that he needs to put in some hard work. Hopefully that points not too late. But until them just keep vigilent on him.

Oh to add to what kams say about the CXC its true they do tend to repeat question types. Also they mark on sort of curve so ya just got to make sure ya betta dan the next man.

Melody said...

Hi, Scratchie, tough questions yu askin' on yu Blog. Da Tall One is prob'ly just goin' through his rebellious teen phase. When parents try to give kids all that they themselves wished they'd had, it's so disheartenin' to see de lack ov appreciation that de kid who's never really had to go without can sometimes display in response to our best parental efforts. De son yu know an' love will soon return when de teen years pass, just hang in there--yu can tell that ah read a lot ov those child psychology books, don't it?:) (lol) BTW, ah don't fink you'd ever do that right-click fing, 'cause you're a good guy:)

Anonymous said...

Bwoy, comment box still in slow gear!

Anyway, I feel for you with the Tall One. Lets say I was one who did mi work inna school. (HATED ANYTHING NAME MATHS DOH!) Some may think me was a nerd. Went straight from A Levels into University where I spent a number of years.

You seh you still studying at 40. Let me tell you, I may have done mi tertiary education a bit earlier than you Scratch....it still nuh easy fe mek a bread. So let the Tall One know he needs to get into a routine with his work. Nutten wrong wid a few calls on the phone...., likle sports and liming...but.....do dem afta the assignments done. How him mean him nuh know what due? Foolishness dat! Him mus know. Anyway, I hope it doh get to the stage where you haffi shot him nuh box. Parenting nuh easy at all. As me over 40 now and nuh have none yet, I think I may find it harder if and when my time arrives! Sigh. Dr. D.

Mad Bull said...

Bwoy, Scratchie, I am sorry to read of what you and the Tall One going through. I bet thats whats in store for me. I hope that God guides you through it, and me when the time comes, because I doh like foolishness...
Lord help us if funny looks and snide remarks a drop, because me nuh like foolishness.

Campfyah said...

Scratchie muh man, yuh tall one musse de twin tuh mi tall one. Cause I got de same problems and issues you got. It driving me up de wall. I tried talking till ah turn blue, threatened, consuled evathing, but he still not hearing or listening. He more into de rap music, videos and computer. Ein thinking ah thing bout tomorrow or two hrs from now.

But wha ah gine tell you, ley we rest tuh know that we did we best..we can't think fuh dem, we cud onlee pray fuh dem and hope fuh de best. I doing dat wid mi tall one now. I tell him, he gonna regret dees days later. Life ein easy and wukking at McDonalds doan buy de nice threads or ride, it gonna onlee buy a bicycle. So hang in dey muh blogger.