Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A Jamaican Icon

Decided to divert from my usual stuff based on a special request. So here goes.

Onandi Lowe was born on 2 December 1974. He emerged as a member of the Jamaica National Team - The Reggae Boyz in 1995. Lowe has proven himself as an all-rounder on the field and was a member of the Jamaican contingent to World Cup Competition in France. Under the direction of former technical director Rene Simoes it was said that Lowe would become one of the best sweepers in Jamaica and one of the finest worldwide.

Hosted by Photobucket.comLowe's ability to play as defense, midfield and striker has branded him as an all around talented player.

Nandi, as he is popularly known has had stints at several football clubs both at home and abroad. These include: Rushden & Diamonds FC, Kansas City Wizards, Arnett Gardens and Port Vale. He has attracted the attention of other internationally renowned clubs such as Arsenal in the English 1st Division League.

His career has not been without its share of ups and downs. His early career was blotted with incidents of violent physical retaliation for hard tackles against him sometimes resulting in his spending many games on the sideline, having been issued with red cards. This sort of high strung behaviour spilled over into his professional career and more recently he has had a brush with the law that saw him brought up on drug related charges. He was arrested on April 14, 2004. He was cleared of all charges last week as is now free to continue his career.

Over the years Nandi has earned the nickname "Big Man" probably because of his 6'3" 200lb frame that towers an imposing image on the field of play. A past student of Dunoon Technical High School, Lowe despises incompetent referees and negative comments and enjoys music by several artistes. He lists his ideal mate as needing to be smart, intelligent, possessing a sense of humour and a well toned body.

I am not a football fanatic so my views may conflict with others but I stand by them. It has long since been my opinion that Onandi Lowe is a talented player. I am however, of the opinion that talent alone is not enough. Thankfully (some may say) that I am not the person in charge of team selection or Mr. Lowe would have long since been dropped. I firmly believe that one must adhere to a code of conduct when one represents your country at events. Mr. Lowe has stepped out of that box on too many an occasion. If you are an imposing player then one should expect to be the target of many a team, but in the same breath I believe that the management of those incidents is the responsibility of the game referee. No player has the right to take the rules into their own hands. In doing so you disgrace an entire nation. I do hope that Mr. Lowe has matured. I am uncertain if he will ever again represent Jamaica but I do hope that he has learned from his experiences.

I don't think he is married, so Kami might still have a chance if she ever gets to Jamaica. You might have to fight off the girlfriend(s) though. Sunshine, not sure if he's your type. Sorry Mel and Camp, you are spoken for already.

Later all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you re his conduct or lack of it on the field. Yes, he is talented, but one of his major problems is his attitude....a bit too easy to blaze up. Dr. D.

Abeni said...

I thought you liked me!Now,you trying to make a match for me with Onandi Lowe? No sah,I eh able wid he at all.

Melody said...

Mi noh sorry, Scratchie! I'm 2 scared ov de ruff-an'-tumble type!! An' funny enough, they're always de ones who reach past de ruff-an'-tumble girls who can handle them, an' try after de softies like me who noh want no part a dem!! What yu wrote is a prime example ov de sayin' that goes, "It's not your aptitude but your attitude that will determine your altitude."

Scratchie said...

Hi all, Mel, so true. Who was it that said it again...
Sunshine, I don't think so but there is always hope where life exists.
Kami, of course I like you. That doesn't mean I'm going to run your life. I present you with ample facts so that you can make an informed decision. You make the wrong one, then I just klunk you on the head.:-) You are smart girl so I figure.....

Jdid said...

doan mind kami she know she like de big man like Onandi. 6'3" 200lbs lol
all like now she booking a flight to jamaica. :-)

Scratchie said...

Hey JDid the hair styles kinda match too don't they. Hold on a minute there!!...did you say she was booking a flight to Ja....OK, sorry Kami, I was joking about it. No need to get violent here. (Wonder if she knows where I work?....gotta go do a name change). See what's happening to guys who mess with girls on Doc's blog.....

Abeni said...

Lol @ Scratchie and Jdid.I doh need any more complications in my life,so stop y'all matchmaking:)

Melody said...

Scratchie, ah don't know de name ov de person who came up wif that proverb, but it might've been a clergyman.

Mad Bull said...

Yeah, Sir Scratchie, I'd a bench that b**** long time.