Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day

Hosted by Photobucket.com Today is traditionally celebrated as Valentine's Day and is recognized as a day for love. Happy Valentine's Day to you all. May your dreams of true love and happiness be realised.

There are may different types of love but I will focus on just three because I think we can all fit ourselves into one of these three categories or the other. Eros, Phillio and Agape.

Eros is described as erotic love and the best example is the love that one feels for a spouse or significant other. It is that love that begins with the attraction of one person to another and develops into long term relationships. It also has the ability to transform itself and sustain other types of love.

Phillio is the type of love that a family member feels for another. It is sometimes described as brotherly love. Even if we have never experienced eros most of us can relate to the love of family or family members. It is proported that this type of love is the love that closest describes the love existing between platonic friends although I have read where it is seperated into another category in the expanded format.

The last type is the type that I relate to and I hope you can too. That is Agape. Agape is often described as the love of God. This is the type of love that we experience when we go to church or when we pray. Some peoplesay that they have never experienced Agape although they are involved in church. My response is that you aren't looking hard enough. Agape exists in the air we breathe, the fact that you are reading my ramblings right now. It exists in the beautiful things we see around us, the sky, trees, birds, the rain even the harsh weather that we experience from time to time. Without question Agape is the most evident form of love and guess what....it is there for the taking.

For those of you who say you don't have a significant other, I say to you that you do. God calls himself your Valentine, not just today, but every day that you are alive. It is for you to accept that love, given always and freely even when we reject it.

So whether it be Eros, Phillio or Agape you all fall into one of those categories. So you are all my Valentine in some way or the other.

Have a great day.

9 comments:

Melody said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Scratchie! Everyone's postin' Valentine's, but ah already posted mi Valentine's rose last week an' wished everyone a happy EARLY Valentine's, so today, I'm postin' dif'rent. (Ah saw a great family pic, an' in response, I'm about to scan a great family pic ov mi own!)

Scratchie said...

Hi Mel, I was wondering if you had gotten it. Have a good day.

CoolDestiny said...

One must first love oneself to experience any type of love.

I show my love everyday, don't need Feb. 14 to do that.

Have a good one.

Abeni said...

Happy Vday Scratchie.This morning I was reminded that the greatest love is John 3.16

Melody said...

Scratchie, ah saw it last night. :-) First, ah had to fix some stuff in order to access some stuff. Have a good day too!

Angry Dog said...

Scratchie, very beautiful post my brother....well said! I've experienced all three in my relatively short life still, though I've never really known what to call them until now! Good one my brother and Happy Valentine's Day to you and the family!

Jdid said...

HAppy valentines. excellent post examining the types of love.

Anonymous said...

Well, mi old school mate teach me suppem today. Knew of Eros and Agape, but Phillipo was knew to me...I can understand the concept, but never knew the word.

Excellent post rude yute, this blog thing makes us discover stuff about people that we knew from long time that were hidden or 'latent' shall we say. Dr. D.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that should be PHILLIO...see how me nuh even spell it right how it foreign to me! Dr. D.