Friday, January 14, 2005

New Day

Hi All, Today has started and it has been pretty quiet. THe sun is out and the drive to work was uneventful. I was actually just going to wish you all a great day and call it a week but mi gwine give uunoo a one paragraph. I mentioned in a previous post that I often drive through a few inner city communities on my way to work. This morning was no different. As I stopped a traffic light in one such area, a young woman probably in her early thirties was crossing the road and in her charge were two young girls, obviously her daughters (dead stamp of dem mudda). Wifey and I remarked simultaneously that they were so neatly dressed and so orderly crossing the road that if I hadn't seen them coming from their house I would not have known that they were from that community. You may say stereotyping but having travelled around I have seen some of the most vulgar and untidy children on their way to school. It would be difficult for you to believe that they had just left home and were not yet at school. I am not talking about clothes worn because you don't have any more. I am talking about hair uncombed, blouse and shirts out of skirts and pants. shoes not cleaned. I understand that some of them actually ascribe to and promote the ghetto mentality. Kind of the "I-am-from-the-ghetto-an-is-so-wi-do-it" way of thinking. I have long since voiced that ghetto is a state of mind and not a place we live in. Some persons are living in affluent communities and stil retain the ghetto mentality while others live in the inner city and posses a better outlook on life and civility than some of those from areas of riches. I don't know anything about those two girls but I certainly hope that if their outlook is as good as their dress and mannerism this morning that they will continue and succeed in life. Later guys.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thought Scratchie. I am one who dislikes stereotyping, though it is something we are all guilty of from time to time. It is something I try not to do, I do meet people from all walks of life in my work.

Many may wish to refer to me as an "Upper St. Andrew brown skin or red bwoy"....which I am. However, anyone who knows me will realize that I do not have the sort of 'better than thou' values that some folks who hail from said background may exude. Where we were born and raised is not a chioce of ours, in the same way that we do not choose our ethnicity.

I have met folks from the ghetto or 'inner city' who are decent people. They simply live where they do on account of their social circumstances. Not everyone from the 'ghetto' behaves with a ghetto mentality. To dress yourself in a certain way to prove it as you mentioned, really dictates what a state of mind it is. Those from 'Uptown' or 'Topanaris Areas' who try to live in the ghetto image are just as pitiful if you ask me.

I'll just end by saying that it matters not from where you hail, it is how you behave that makes the difference. Dr. D.

Abeni said...

Good on the mom.No matter your situation you can still observe basic cleanliness and carry your self well.The clothes don't have to be expensive,just clean.

Campfyah said...

I use the word ghetto many times to describe the way someone is behaving. I have a teenage son, who is part of the hip-hop rap culture, dress, lingo, antics everthing and he absolutely hates it when I tell him that he's behaving ghetto. But I always explain the relities of life to him. He dosen't live in the ghetto, but if he continues to behave as if he has no training, that no matter what accomplishments he makes, it will be disregarded because of his sterotypical ghetto behavior.

It appals me, why people would behave in such a manner and them be upset because someone calls them for their actions. Having grown up in inner-city (ghetto) Brooklyn. I see these types of behaviors always. But I also see them in the suburban area I now live in.

Melody said...

There's a sayin' about bein' able to glimpse someone's heart by seein' de plight ov that person's child. Big up to that lady who won't let poverty strip away her children's dignity. Obviously, she has a healthy amount ov dignity too; Scratchie, have a nice weekend!

Scratchie said...

I hear you guys. Campfyah, I have a teen son too and his thing is the dance culture, bling bling as we call it. I am fighting a losing battle I think. Last month I actually told him to forget even trying to buy a certain watch until he was outside my house. The watch had a spinner hub cap over the face with lots of glass chips looking like diamond studs around the face.
He can't see why I am forbidding him to buy it. His mother tried to explain exactly what you just said. Your mode of dress and how you behave defines you. When people see him on the road with that sort of attire he is grouped into the thugs arena. They have a hard time understanding that.

Angry Dog said...

Bwoy Scratchie, I agree with you 100% about ghetto being a state-of-mind as opposed to a place where you live. I spent my early years in the Windward Road area and trust me, it never too pretty at all! In fact, I have to say that patois was my first language...we talking the raw-chaw, can't understand what the hell you talking about patois! Now, my grandparents worked hard, and they instilled pride and dignity in all their children, me included. So even though we were poor, we all managed to look our best when going to school and work. And you know what, it paid off in the long run!

Scratchie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Campfyah said...

but why yuh remove the post...It's a good topic.

It seems like most of us that are raising teenages in this era are fighting uphill battles. A similar incident recently had with my son. We go into a clothing store, he sees a pants he wants, wait and ask my permission. When I check out the pants, I realize it's looks just like prision wear, you know the khakis they wear when in lockup. I told my son, no he can't have them and explain the reasons why. He complied. Can you imagine, how designers are now making prision wear street fashion......cha

Scratchie said...

Campfyah no I didn't delete the post I double posted so I just got rid of one of them. Boy is almost as if we are fighting a losing battle with the kids. We say one thing and society says something else. My son and I are at loggerheads over the whole phone thing. Both my kids have phones because of domestic arrangements. My daughter has had hers for 2 years and it still looks brand new. He has changed 3 and has just accidentally dropped his 4th into water so it done. I bought the 1st one but he upgrades as the new models become available. I have just told him that he is going to do without one because the money he keeps spending is ridiculous. Only problem is that his aunts keep getting him replacements. There is an old retired spare one at home and he can use that until...

Jdid said...

dere are decent folks in the ghetto man. its just circumstance and situation that somnetimes they cant do any better. also its the lawless ones that give everyone a bad name. Anyway big up to the lady for keeping her daughters liking decent.