Friday, January 07, 2005

What are they trying to teach us?

I went up on campus yesterday to sort out some crap with the school administration. (Jamaica small because who did I buck up?....nuh di one Dog.) Anywayz, My dilemna start at the end of last semester. On my way home from my last exam I got a phone call to advise that a verbal message was sent to my class that we needed to complete registration for our humanities course ,which will be done during this semester, by 4:00p.m. on that day. Now I had done my humanities application from in July but gues what...the morons change the options and didn't see fit to advise the applicants so it is a crisis management scene. Well yuh know who couldn't reach up there then so I just made up my mind that I would need to go fight with them when I collect timetables. I went to the faculty office and encountered one of the most miserable b1t@hes that I have ever met. ( My apologies to the ladies who venture here, but that is the only way to describe her.) So much for customer service. Anyway, I got my point across and she registered me without any further fuss (just nuff attitude). Then we ask the dreaded question "Where can we find the timetables?" (Because each semester we run around the faculty building trying to find which of the many notice boards have the timetable on it) Man! is like we ask the world's worst evil. Long and short is that timetables aren't ready and might be posted late today. Did I mention that classes are supposed to start on Monday? All we therefore know to date is that I am enrolled in 3 courses (they will need to advise which 3) which start on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or...... You get the picture. Can't get any more out of her so just cut the argument and get back to work. I told her and the office of whoever was listening that as students we really don't need to go anywhere to complete our research paper on Business Administration. If we look at what UofTJa- SOBA does as a business office then we have our case study right there. They are the most unfriendly, clueless, disorganized, unbusinesslike set of people I have ever encountered. They are trying to teach Business Administration but certainly not by example. How can enrollment packages be issued 5 days before the end of the semester? I thought that if a student was to study through a semester then one should be enrolled for that semester. How can you not know class schedules the day before classes are to begin? How can you dispatch critical notices word of mouth or by sticking it on some obscure cabinet with scotchtape exposed to all elements, man included? How can you dispatch such messages on the day that is also your final day for said activity? Only in jamaica can a School of Business office not function like a business and get away with it. Later guys.

8 comments:

Melody said...

What a nightmare! That's how they treat their students--their customers!!?? Ah heard de Prime Minister was in de tri-state area askin' schools to partner wif J'can universities instead ov doin' hardball competition wif de J'can schools by lurin' students away wif online degrees, correspondence courses, etc.. Ah was sympathetic, but if a soh de J'can Uni them disorganized and treat people bad, then them deserve de hardball competition--them too bright an' feisty! Yu soon get them outta yu life, Scratchie. Just bide yu time.

Anonymous said...

Hush Scratch...that so brings back memories of my years as a UWI student. Them miserables behind the counters were ever present. As for the disorganization! Jus do what you have to rude guy. Dr. D.

Jdid said...

its always like they doing you a favor by doing their job. hang in there man

Abeni said...

That's UWI for you.The front desk people just the worst ever.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Bwoy Scratchie, that brings back memories. You know what got me through year 2 and 3 at UWI? I used to fantasize that as soon as I got my degree, I was going to walk into the Registrar's office and ask one of the ladies in there for some assistance. My plan was to wait until one approached me and started with the fiesty stuff and I was just going to reach over the counter and drape her up, draw her halfway over the counter and then box-box her up until they had security restrain me. Luckily I didn't lose it and really try to live out the fantasy.
Then there was this guy in Exam Section. He was a miserable gay yute.... b%#*@ c$%#@$.... In final year, we took our calculators to an exam and were told that we couldn't use them. I put it on the floor under my seat. At the end of the exam, the man came and rush me bout the calculator. Then he leafed through it. I had written up my time table on the outside of the booklet and the man was telling me that I was cheating and that the timetable was a code with answers for the exam. He said I was to check him the following day at the Exam Section for his decision as to whether he was going to report me for cheating... Yow, I just kept a cool head, but you see anyhow the man did make the mistake and report me, after the hours and hours of study and preparation? Trust me, this blog would have been written from General Penitentiary, rasta... Anyway, the likkle %$#@ took my calculator and matched it back to my timetable and saw that I wasn't lying. He don't know to this day how close he came...

Mad Bull

Anonymous said...

By the way, I don't believe in beating women, but those women in the registrars office were not normal... they were sadistic torturers! BTW, Scratchie, could you delerte my extra, (unsigned) comment please?

Mad Bull

Anonymous said...

Such anger in some of these bloggers....what was his name...Mad Bull? I guess I understand how it came about! ;-)) Dr. D.