Monday, January 10, 2005

One of those topics

The headline in one of our daily newspapers this morning read "Abortions Soar" the subcaptions read - 30% of teens have had one, High rate alarms medics. The discussion between my wife and I came about as a result of a table that listed the reasons for having abortions in women 15-49 who have actually had this procedure done. The last 3 are Did not have partner 2.4%, Other 23.3%, and Don't know 3.1%. Her question was how can you become pregnant without a partner? I reminded her that if the girl was raped then technically she did not have a partner. The other statistics are equally worrying though, especially for a nation where abortions are illegal except in 3 situations...to save the woman's life, to preserve physical health, and to preserve mental health. The policy guiding the doctors contradicts these laws to some extent. This in itself promotes a dilemna which must be examined otherwise. My religious denomination does not approve of contraception nor does it approve of abortions. I will state now that I do not support abortions at all. I have looked at this from all sides and even in the case of rape, I believe that each child is special and that there are viable alternatives, adoption for one. Don't cow me down if you don't agree, just state your point and we will agree to disagree. That's just my stance and I don't push this on others who believe otherwise. That said, I am however of the belief that each couple must decide for themselves in the use of contraceptives. I don't believe that this is something that any church should dictate. It is however frightening to think that with so many contraceptive alternatives available, that the need for such a barbaric practice seems to grow daily. With the threat of HIV and other STD's so rampant and yet our teens continue to engage in this game of roulette with their lives. The other reasons given in the article could have all ended with "so I used a condom". We have gotten too accustomed to the easy way out. Do any damnned thing we feel like and fix it later. Pro Life?, Pro choice? Who really knows. Who is damaged in the long run. I guess it's just another chapter in the 'evils' of modern society.

7 comments:

Yamfoot said...

when i was in my 20's, i decided that if i ever got pregnant, i would have an abortion.

when i was in my 30's....oh, that's now, i decided that if i ever got pregnant, i would not have an abortion.

when i was in my 30's, i thought how crazy i was in my 20's to decide to end somebody's life. when i look at my niece and nephew, i just know i would have regretted taking that route.

but it's a personal decision i believe. each person has to think it through according to what they believe in.

Anonymous said...

This topic is never an easy one neither for the believer of abortion or the opposer. There is such a fine line in saying I don't believe in abortion but I do believe that women should have the right to choose. This my friends is the bigger problem. In the states it seems that there is a vile attack on the woman's right to choose.

In this situation however there is no winner. Not the unborn child nor the mother who has mad the decision to terminate. I have counseled both those who have made the decision to abort and those who have decided that its best to give the child up for adoption. The scariest part for most these women is that no matter how many people around them care they still feel alone and highly criticized no matter thier choice. The decision then comes down to which will be less criticized? No one wants to admit to condone it and no Parish tolerates it. The best that should be offered to women who make this decision is a shoulder and pure God love. Whom are we to say? As long as we live our lives accordingly we should support those around us...

The next article in the paper will be about the rising number in single mothers and absent fathers. Six in one basket half a dozen in another...

Nena

Abeni said...

I acknowledge the right of people to choose.That said when a woman can have 3 or 4 abortions clearly they using abortion as a contraceptive method.Something about that just don't mesh with me.

Jdid said...

This is one of those topics where I actually dont have a strong unchangable view. I can see the pros of each stance actually.

On one hand I think there should be cases where abortion is allowed for instance rape, incest etc but when you can go out have your fun and then so callously go and have abortion after abortion I think that is a bit reprehensible on the part of both the men and women involved.

Even before marriage, I always thought if someone I was with got pregnant regardless of the situation I would want them to keep the baby since that life shouldnt have to pay for my acts

Anonymous said...

OK Scratchie. Let's say we disagree on this point. I saw the article and didn't even read it. I have my views and blogged about termination long ago. It resulted in a lot of commentary and arguments. Here is the link to my post about abortion. You will need time to read it and the comments.

In summary:

I do not disagree with termination, but each case has to be taken on its own merit.

I am a disciple for contraceptive use and safe sex.

I disagee with abortion being used as a contraceptive method.

A woman who is raped and becomes pregnant should be given the option to not carry a child conceived out of an act so cruel as rape for a whole nine months.

I am pro choice, and since men cannot carry a pregnancy (yet) the woman must be the one who is given the right to make the choice.

If you do nutten else, teach your children about sex and the use of boots! Please! Like the others above said, we could go on about this for ages. I will stop here. The post says it all. Dr. D.

Melody said...

I've witnessed some cruel mothers--I mean some HATEFUL bitches who beat their children and otherwise abuse them so badly that one kid from my primary school even committed suicide. That kid's mother didn't kill her baby in the womb; she tortured the child for 10 long years and drove the kid to suicide. What a mother! If such a bitch chose abortion today, I'd breathe a sigh of relief.

Scratchie said...

Hi all. Some serious comments. Welcome to Nena. Please feel free to drop by and comment as you see fit.
I think we all seem to agree in essence on the point that the choice to have or not to have an abortion is a personal choice. From where I sit, as we say here in Jamaica, "mout mek fi sey anyting." (Roughly translated "We can say whatever we want when we are on the outside looking in but may act differently placed in the same circumstances").

I have been faced with the circumstances in my extended family and have had to simply deal with it. The person in question is still dealing with the decisions she made as a 16 year old but the fact is she has the love and support of family. My not agreeing with it is my stance but it certainly was not hers and I have to respect that since when all is said and done she is family and still human. As Nena said offer a shoulder and lots of God's love in the situation.