Friday, January 28, 2005

T.G.I.F.

No, I ain't gonna eat there. Not yet anyway. They are having teething pains so when they sort themselves out I may try it. The prices on the menu that I saw look steep though. Guess that's a reflection of the economy. Anyways, I wasn't talking about the new company that opened on Hope Road, I was literally saying thank God it's Friday!!! I seriously tyaad iyah. This week was ruff. I didn't post yesterday because I actually had to leave office to rescue te wifey from car worries. On the way to dropping me off we noticed that every time I stepped on the brakes the radio died. When we stopped at office it seemed OK but shortly after she left me the windows quit working and the car sounded lazy. Dead battery! She picked me up and I decided to get a battery check at one of the dealers. Sure enough I had to spring for a battery. When they checked the charge from the alternator....zip zero zilch nadda nothing!!! The guy at the battery place assured me that I could get to an electrician on battery alone so off we went. Found an electrician who checked for me. Sure enough i had two choices, three really, replacement alternator, repair rectifier in old one or third choice...park the car (not really an option). The search began for a replacement. Not really a hard task in Jamaica with the number of deportee cars and used parts we have here. (The used cars that are from Japan for use in our country are called deportees. The Japanese market requires frequent re-certification for vehicles over a certain age. This process is really expensive to them so many owner opt to change cars which is a cheaper option for them. They export these cars to many countries around the world who lap them up because they are really in very good condition and a viable alternative to paying out serious money for new rides.) I was able to find a good replacement part and have it fitted. But my day at work was shot. I had to apply for a vacation day. So I had to spend $8,000.00 that I had not bargained for but that too is all a part of life. My job functions changed at work this week so it has been ruff week. I hope the weekend provides a bit of rest for me. Wishful thinking because school all day tomorrow but I will try to take it easy on Sunday. Later guys. Have a great weekend. Addendum: I know that I am always cussing about the society and how callous it has become. Well today I want to say a big thank you to the truck driver who assisted me, not once, but three times yesterday morning, in the middle of traffic, with jump starts when the car kept shutting off. He would not take money and was so kind. I don't even know his name, but from yesterday' s experience....there are still good Jamaicans out there. Thank you again Sir whoever you are!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

8G....doh complain my yute. My likkle repair bill was 5G. Paid happily....Thank God fe payday. We need to shake this cyar worries virus....I wonder if dem have a vaccine?

The TGIF place got a very poor review from Rosemary Parkinson in the Gleaner recently. Over 4G for dinner for two sounds ruff. Can get Chiney food for four for less dan dat iyah.

Anyway, mek me go get ready fe Spanish Town, I hear the Don Scratchie has appeased the common folk. You better mek sure! Have a good weekend. Dr. D.

Anonymous said...

Scratchie:

I would like to hear your views on the Portmore Leg of Highway 2000. I am not sure that sufficient people living in, and associated with, Portmore understand the issues. I have been reading your blog (and MB,Dr.D, Angry Dog, etc.) for a long time and realise that you have some association with Portmore. What are your views on the request from Portmore residents that the existing Causeway be retained as the "alternative" route? Are you aware that all bicycle and pedestrian traffic will now have to use Mandela under the proposed Toll Road plan?

Are you aware that under the existing MOU with government one would have to earning about $1.5m per annum to merit an increase equal to the over $30,000 for the annual projected toll charges?

Are you aware that in spite of the Prime Minister's instructions for dialogue to be opened with Portmore residents, and residents' attempts to meet with Minister Pickersgill that it is only last night, on publication of the protest on Saturday, that the Minister is attempting to arrange a meeting?

Abeni said...

Enjoy your weekend.Car is always some kinda worries eh!

Melody said...

Never liked T.G.I.Friday restaurant mi-self. Didn't know it was in JA now, but ah prob'ly wouldn't be fussy about it there either. Respect to de good Samaritan truck-driver. Hope yu have a nice class tomorrow, Scratchie, an' a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

I wonder is who wrote that comment about Portmore? I didn't understand that bit about having to be earning 1.5 mill to get whatever for whatever.... Dude, if you check back, 'splain dat for me nuh?
Anyways, for information on all aspects of Portmoer and living in Portmore, check www.portmore.org, run by mi bigtime, bonafide bredrin, Kennedy. He has all the scoop, you simi.

Mad Bull

Jdid said...

man, that reallyw as a nice samartian fa true. sorry to hear about the car issues.

Anonymous said...

Respec to the truck driver. Yes, despite what a gwaan, some decent folk still manage to survive here amongst the heap o cockroach and scorpion!Dr. D.

Scratchie said...

Hi All.
Yes everything is back to normal with the car.

Hi Anonymous I used to reside in Portmore but that is no longer so. I am not fully aware of the proposal or terms of the arrangements that have been tabled with regards to Highway 2000. There are issues that are evident. I have concerns that road and road works are a part of the capital and recurrent expenditure budget and as such should be covered under income tax. In essence the toll system is another form of double taxation. Having said that, we need the roads now and that carries a price hence the toll. OK I can sort of buy that. I think people should have choices. If you are going to construct another road and bridge and call it toll then hey no problem but I do believe that the existing infrastructure should be maintained and allowed to remain in present form.

I don't understand your point about the increase and the MOU thing.
As for the dialogue, most Jamaican politicians only respond to crisis, so it comes as no surprise that the Minister will only dialogue when backed into a corner.